Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Now that it is over...

The torch has been extinguished, the flag has been passed to Sochi, Russia and I am mourning the end of what was an event that changed our nation. 

Our family's Olympic Adventure was born a long time ago.  On July 2, 2003 just a few short weeks after Shannon was born and the day before we celebrated Kate's 2nd birthday, Vancouver was awarded the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.  Rich stated then, with conviction, that "we are going there!!".  Rocking my new born baby, I paid little attention to him.  Later when he told family and friends of his plan to attend the Olympics they rolled their eyes.  On July 1, 2008 while celebrating Canada Day in Ottawa (with our 3 kids) we saw the Olympic mascots walking the streets and the idea resurfaced and started to take shape.  I was not always a proponent of this adventure.  I jokingly called it "Rich's Olympic Dream" but Rich knew from that day in 2003 that this would be something special.  He spoke often about how this Olympics would be special and how we had to be part of it.  I tuned him out but he persevered.  Rich "just knew" and, like so often, he dragged me along with him kicking and screaming until in the end I had to admit that he was right.  Thank you Richard for staying the course and making sure our family had this wonderful opportunity.

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics captivated our nation.  They gave us a reason to be overtly proud Canadians.  They affected our country in a positive and lasting way.  I feel privileged to have been able to be in Vancouver, Richmond and Whistler to experience these Olympics with my family.  I still get goose bumps when I think about singing "O Canada" at the victory ceremonies for Alex Bilodeau and Jon Montgomery, when I look at the picture of Ainsley with Alex Bilodeau and when I recall cheering with my daughters as the Canadian team entered the Opening Ceremonies.  It will be a long time before anything else touches my family the way this adventure has.  I believe with confidence that this experience has impacted my girls too.  They have witnessed first hand the outcome of hard work and dedication and will hopefully be moved to achieve greatness (not necessarily in sport), they sing their national anthem with pride and, in short, they "believe".  

I miss the Olympics already but will hold on tight to my Olympic memories and will do my best to ensure that my girls remember this great chapter in our country's and our family's history too.

No comments:

Post a Comment