Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hi from Kate

Hey-o,

The Olympics is great!!  Yesterday I went to the womens speed skating 500 metres at the Richmond Speed Skating Oval.  This is a new building they built just for the Olympics and is an oval shape.  It is made out of pine wood that had to be cut down because of the pine beetle invasion and would have been wasted if they didn't use it for this building.  In BC they build lots of buildings using wood because even though it means cutting down trees it helps reduce carbon emissions. They also replant lots of new trees for every tree they cut down.


I also learned that 1 gold medal is worth more than about 18 silver and bronze medals. The person who told me that was the sister of the person who designed the Olympic medals, so she should know!  The Vancouver Winter Olympic Medals are very unique because they were designed by an aboriginal artist from West Vancouver and each one is different because they are all cut from a big picture.

More info on the medals can be found at:
Link to Olympic Medals Story

A very special moment for me was when I was there to see Alex Bilodeau receive his gold medal for Men's Mogul Skiing.  People were cheering so loudly that I couldn't hear my mother yell right beside me!  When they played "O Canada" everyone was singing.  I felt proud to be Canadian.

See you soon,

Kate

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,
    I watched the men's moguls too...it was really exciting. We all yelled and cheered when Alex won. Ainsley is so lucky that she got to hold Alex's gold medal. Last night I got to stay up late to watch the mens hockey game. Did you see it?? Keep having fun in Vancouver!

    from Aidan Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,

    I watched when Alex got his medal on TV. It seemed like people were singing so loudly and proudly. I'm so happy that you were there and got to be a part of it - how awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate!
    I see that you are having fun at the Olympics! It is awesome that Ainsley got to hold the gold medal!I have been watching the figure skating and hope that Synchronized Skating will soon become a part of the Olympics!
    Enjoy the rest of your time there.
    love from Lauren C.

    ReplyDelete